PB screen of death (guid unkn), driving me crazy!!

Game Questions and Help / Errors and Game Issues
dickcheneyhunting
BBA Wannabe
BBA Wannabe

Post by dickcheneyhunting » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:26 pm

Can somebody recommend the link for PB ticket thing? :chin:

KrispyKritter
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Post by KrispyKritter » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:08 am

KrispyKritter aka Chatty (glitchy finger) Charlie
Image(pcB)

soreau

Post by soreau » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:25 pm

I am experiencing the same problem on gentoo linux. I have deleted ~/.etwolf/etmain/profiles/<etplayer>/servercache.dat and it 'fixed' the problem the first time I tried it but since then it's been the same thing. I log on to bba1.BadAssServers.net and sometimes it lets me right on other times not (with the PB GUID AUTH: UNKN message) and I also get the 'Server Disconnected. Unpure client detected. Invalid .PK3 files referenced!' message if I click reconnect without restarting et. The only thing I can do is try again at a later time, maybe after a different map is loaded (?). This totally sucks because you're playing the game then when it goes to load the next map, it stops right after loading and kicks you with the PB message. Very frustrating and a total deal breaker for the gaming experience. This is one of the best games for linux and it's a shame this has been going on for years without a real fix. Where is the actual problem? I have tried pbsetup to update pb, nothing has worked. In the game console, /pb_ver shows the string "PunkBuster Client: PunkBuster Client (v2.213 | A1382) Enabled". Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

KrispyKritter
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Post by KrispyKritter » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:25 pm

soreau wrote:I am experiencing the same problem on gentoo linux. I have deleted ~/.etwolf/etmain/profiles/<etplayer>/servercache.dat and it 'fixed' the problem the first time I tried it but since then it's been the same thing. I log on to bba1.BadAssServers.net and sometimes it lets me right on other times not (with the PB GUID AUTH: UNKN message) and I also get the 'Server Disconnected. Unpure client detected. Invalid .PK3 files referenced!' message if I click reconnect without restarting et. The only thing I can do is try again at a later time, maybe after a different map is loaded (?). This totally sucks because you're playing the game then when it goes to load the next map, it stops right after loading and kicks you with the PB message. Very frustrating and a total deal breaker for the gaming experience. This is one of the best games for linux and it's a shame this has been going on for years without a real fix. Where is the actual problem? I have tried pbsetup to update pb, nothing has worked. In the game console, /pb_ver shows the string "PunkBuster Client: PunkBuster Client (v2.213 | A1382) Enabled". Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
For years? I've been seeing it a lot since the last PB update some months ago.

I find that if PB drops or kicks you for any reason, you have to restart. Some say you can simply reload Jaymod, from the options|
mod menu.

You've heard of that PB command that supposedly forces registration of your PB key? (ack! now I can't find it!)

OK, FOUND a similar cvar...from punkbusted forums, 7 Sep 2005

PB_CDKeyVerAuto [0=no, 1=yes]
Setting defaults to 0. When set to 1, PB issues a pb_cdkeyver command automatically upon attempting to connect to a server. This is useful for players who have certain routers that randomly drop OOB packets and cause the GUID: UNKN kicking on PB servers

I guess I was thinking of the pb_cdkeyver, but this is even better. I changed the cvar and logged onto BBA#! ok, so it won't kick you for that.

Slightly off-topic: PB site reports most key/guid problems stem from copying files from computer to computer, rather than running the install package. You would end up with two players with same key, and I suspect the second one to connect at a time to any PB-enabled server anywhere would be rejected.
Image(pcB)

soreau

Post by soreau » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:58 pm

Thanks for your reply.
KrispyKritter wrote: For years? I've been seeing it a lot since the last PB update some months ago.
Yes, I have seen posts dating back 5 years with this same problem
KrispyKritter wrote: I find that if PB drops or kicks you for any reason, you have to restart. Some say you can simply reload Jaymod, from the options|
mod menu.
I have not tried this, but the whole point is for it not to kick you in between maps.
KrispyKritter wrote: You've heard of that PB command that supposedly forces registration of your PB key? (ack! now I can't find it!)

OK, FOUND a similar cvar...from punkbusted forums, 7 Sep 2005
See this date? It has been going on for years :)
KrispyKritter wrote: PB_CDKeyVerAuto [0=no, 1=yes]
Setting defaults to 0. When set to 1, PB issues a pb_cdkeyver command automatically upon attempting to connect to a server. This is useful for players who have certain routers that randomly drop OOB packets and cause the GUID: UNKN kicking on PB servers

I guess I was thinking of the pb_cdkeyver, but this is even better. I changed the cvar and logged onto BBA#! ok, so it won't kick you for that.
I definitely want to try this but, I'm not sure what this means or how to do it exactly though I will try. Can you elaborate a bit on this? Thanks.
KrispyKritter wrote: Slightly off-topic: PB site reports most key/guid problems stem from copying files from computer to computer, rather than running the install package. You would end up with two players with same key, and I suspect the second one to connect at a time to any PB-enabled server anywhere would be rejected.c
This is a 'clean' install of et but I did install a mod of TC:E as well if this matters.

KrispyKritter
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Post by KrispyKritter » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:22 pm

soreau wrote: Yes, I have seen posts dating back 5 years with this same problem

I have not tried this, but the whole point is for it not to kick you in between maps.
KrispyKritter wrote:...from punkbusted forums, 7 Sep 2005
See this date? It has been going on for years :)
KrispyKritter wrote: PB_CDKeyVerAuto [0=no, 1=yes]
Setting defaults to 0. When set to 1, PB issues a pb_cdkeyver command automatically upon attempting to connect to a server.

I definitely want to try this but, I'm not sure what this means or how to do it exactly though I will try. Can you elaborate a bit on this? Thanks.

This is a 'clean' install of et but I did install a mod of TC:E as well if this matters.

Yeah, I saw PB-GUID posts on punkbusted going back years, but I personally have seen such a flurry of kicks only recently.

When you are in console, before you connect, you can type PB_CDKeyVerAuto to see what your current value is. Default is 0. You can set it with /set PB_CDKeyVerAuto 1, or /seta PB_CDKeyVerAuto 1 if you want to make it permanent. (You can copy it from here and "ctl-v" paste it into the console).

BTW, this reply/tip was from an admin on the PunkBusted forums.

If you get kicked at each mapchange, I suspect that the PB module reconnects to it's server and rechecks your GUID. I know that a number of ET values are set again at mapchange, so perhaps PB's are too. I will have to do a console-dump next time my game mapchanges.

I doubt TC:E is causing a problem, but removing hardware or software in reverse order of installation is one trouble-shooting technique.

This is only a test . . . I doubt that one change will fix all problems for everyone.
Image(pcB)

soreau

Post by soreau » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:51 pm

KrispyKritter wrote: When you are in console, before you connect, you can type PB_CDKeyVerAuto to see what your current value is. Default is 0. You can set it with /set PB_CDKeyVerAuto 1, or /seta PB_CDKeyVerAuto 1 if you want to make it permanent. (You can copy it from here and "ctl-v" paste it into the console).

BTW, this reply/tip was from an admin on the PunkBusted forums.

If you get kicked at each mapchange, I suspect that the PB module reconnects to it's server and rechecks your GUID. I know that a number of ET values are set again at mapchange, so perhaps PB's are too. I will have to do a console-dump next time my game mapchanges.
Thanks for the reply. I tried /PB_CDKeyVerAuto and it shows "PB_CDKeyVerAuto 0 (0 to 1)" then I tried both /set PB_CDKeyVerAuto 1 and /seta PB_CDKeyVerAuto 1 however this has no effect. I check the value again with /PB_CDKeyVerAuto and it still shows it's set to 0.

soreau

Post by soreau » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:55 pm

Ok, I figured out I can do /PB_CDKeyVerAuto 1 and this sets it to 1 but it is reset after I restart the game. I grepped the config files in ~/.etwolf for this value and "PB_" but I could only find binary files that matched. Is there a config file where I can manually set this?

soreau

Post by soreau » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:21 pm

Well now I have found the problem that neither set nor seta works at all neither using it from the in-game console nor settingit on the command line. So now I will search to find why set and seta aren't working.

soreau

Post by soreau » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:40 pm

So I looked in the config files and PB_CDKeyVerAuto is being saved in the config files. I see the line 'seta PB_CDKEYVERAUTO "1"' in the etconfig.cfg files for both etmain and jaymod directories but when I start et and do /PB_CDKeyVerAuto in the game console, it still shows the value = 0. I have not even verified if this will fix the original problem but now I want to know why it's not respecting this setting. I will try to set it manually and see if I get kicked but so far I haven't found any other way to set it other than starting et and typing /PB_CDKeyVerAuto 1 in the game console. Any ideas why it would ignore this setting fromt he config files?

soreau

Post by soreau » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:55 pm

Well I made some slight progress. I've found I can do (from my terminal):
et PB_CDKEYVERAUTO "1"
which sets it but I can't seem to combine it with any other arguments. For example, if I do
et PB_CDKEYVERAUTO "1" connect "bba1.BadAssServers.net"
it will set the cvar but it wont connect to bba. It will just start as if that arg was not there. and of course if I do
et connect "bba1.BadAssServers.net"
it will connect to the server (whether or not I get kicked after it loads the map is TBD)

KrispyKritter
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Post by KrispyKritter » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:56 pm

soreau wrote:Well now I have found the problem that neither set nor seta works at all neither using it from the in-game console nor settingit on the command line. So now I will search to find why set and seta aren't working.
That is VERY curious.

Can you set non-built-in vars, like /set apples 1 ?
And then /apples to see if it is set?
Image(pcB)

soreau

Post by soreau » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:44 am

KrispyKritter wrote: Can you set non-built-in vars, like /set apples 1 ?
Yes.
]/apples
Unknown command "apples"
]/set apples 1
]/apples
"apples" is:"1^7" default:"1^7"

Note that PB_CDKEYVERAUTO appears this way:

]/PB_CDKEYVERAUTO
^5PunkBuster Client: PB_CDKEYVERAUTO = 0 (0 to 1)
]/set PB_CDKEYVERAUTO 1
]/PB_CDKEYVERAUTO

KrispyKritter
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Post by KrispyKritter » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:11 am

soreau wrote:
KrispyKritter wrote: Can you set non-built-in vars, like /set apples 1 ?
Yes.
]/apples
Unknown command "apples"
]/set apples 1
]/apples
"apples" is:"1^7" default:"1^7"

Note that PB_CDKEYVERAUTO appears this way:

]/PB_CDKEYVERAUTO
]/set PB_CDKEYVERAUTO 1
]/PB_CDKEYVERAUTO
Now mine is acting the same way. I first tried it without connecting to any server, and I could have sworn the /set resulted in a 1, not a 0. In fact, it said default = 0, not the 0 (0 to 1) style as above.
Image(pcB)

soreau

Post by soreau » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:47 am

Now back to the original issue. Even when I start et with PB_CDKEYVERAUTO "1", it still kicks me for PB GUID AUTH: UNKN after loading a map. So I am pretty much back at square one. :eew: (yes, I checked to make sure it was set before and after the kick)