Help with PB?

General ET: Quake Wars Talk
DBinky

Help with PB?

Post by DBinky » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:36 pm

Hi guys! I used to play ET on the BBA server all the time, and I want to get into the ETQW server, but I'm having a problem with PB.

Everytime I connect, I get disconnect about 30 seconds after starting to play with the message:

RESTRICTION: Service Communication Faliure: PnkBstrB.exe handshaking failed

I've noticed that Evenbalance no longer supports ETQW so I'm assuming I won't be getting any help from them. When you run the pbsetup, ETQW isn't even in the list!

I've also noticed that Activision is also no longer supporting ETQW. I made a help ticket with them a week ago, but haven't heard back.

Do I need to get a previous version of PBsetup? What... what should I do?

Caroline20
Clan Member
Clan Member

Post by Caroline20 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:02 pm

i think someone can send it to you:)
Repair the Septimer

Zeus
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Re: Help with PB?

Post by Zeus » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:32 pm

DBinky wrote:Hi guys! I used to play ET on the BBA server all the time, and I want to get into the ETQW server, but I'm having a problem with PB.

Everytime I connect, I get disconnect about 30 seconds after starting to play with the message:

RESTRICTION: Service Communication Faliure: PnkBstrB.exe handshaking failed

I've noticed that Evenbalance no longer supports ETQW so I'm assuming I won't be getting any help from them. When you run the pbsetup, ETQW isn't even in the list!

I've also noticed that Activision is also no longer supporting ETQW. I made a help ticket with them a week ago, but haven't heard back.

Do I need to get a previous version of PBsetup? What... what should I do?
First thing to check is that your firewall or antivirus are not blocking either punkbuster A or B

DBinky

Re: Help with PB?

Post by DBinky » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:50 pm

Zeus wrote: First thing to check is that your firewall or antivirus are not blocking either punkbuster A or B
Thanks! I got it and it was... ummm... obscure. I'm playing the downloadable version from Steam and buried in the activision support site is an article that requires Registry Editing! /boggle/

So... under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/ (I think) there is an ID folder and under that is the ETQW folder.

You have to edit the *permissions* of these folders and grant the Full Control and all lower rights to everyone. Everyone meaning the named security group "EVERYONE". It probably isn't already added, so you have to add the group manually and grant the permissions.

/shrug/

This is on Vista32 Ultimate running on a 24" iMac. LOL I was asking for trouble, amirite?

Him-Again
Clan Member
Clan Member

Post by Him-Again » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:00 pm

Good to hear you got the problem sovled DBinky :wtg:

Looking forward to seeing you on our BBA QW server
I am sure you will enjoy yourself there :wtg:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS

Sissyboy
Clan Member
Clan Member

Post by Sissyboy » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:04 pm

Welcome aboard Binky! Played with you tonight! Now ya just gotta get your
headset and mic working!

;)
Will Ban for Stroyent.

DBinky

Post by DBinky » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:10 am

Sissyboy wrote:Welcome aboard Binky! Played with you tonight! Now ya just gotta get your
headset and mic working!

;)
Man, I can tell that you really enjoyed having a squishy target to ace with some regular frequency. lol I haven't played ETQW in *years*. My son (who now logs into BBA as MisterJFish) has been monopolizing the computer for the last 2 years with Battlefield Heroes and, so, I've been playing a lot of BFH with him. I missed objective team play, however... BFH is all capture the flag.

Anyway, I had a great time for the 2 maps I was able to squeeze in while he was doing his homework. lol Trust me, I'll be back for you to frag again. ;)

I could hear my team on the built-in VOIP and I may have had the mic working, too (not a headset, but the iMac has one built in to the top of the monitor). The kid wants a headset for christmas, so I bet I can make that happen for him. /grin/