Microsoft 'Event Manager' Scam call

Need help? Or just want to chat about your rig.
KrispyKritter
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Microsoft 'Event Manager' Scam call

Post by KrispyKritter » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:53 am

My nephew got a phone call, here in California, from what he took to be an Indian Call Center by the man's accent. The guy said he was from Microsoft and at other times said he was not with Microsoft. He said Microsoft had detected problems and viruses on his computer. He wanted my nephew to open Event Manager and do something or other. He wanted my nephew's credit card number so that they could charge a small fee and "never charge the card again". My nephew wisely hung up on him.

Nephew wondered how they got his number, then realized they used a 'blind-dialing' system that just called all possible numbers until they got a response.

He did a little Googling and found many mentions by UK and Australian users, such as
http://www.crn.com.au/News/257345,austr ... -scam.aspx where it's been going on for a couple of years.

I mention this here so that readers can warn their less-knowledgeable friends and relatives about this scam.

Microsoft will never call you, nor will they send you a copy of their newest OS if you remail their message to 5 people.
KrispyKritter aka Chatty (glitchy finger) Charlie
Image(pcB)

Caroline20
Clan Member
Clan Member

Post by Caroline20 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:36 am

Thanks Krispy. As we see there are many cheaters, not even in virtual game like et.

This is just ridicoulus! :shrug:
Repair the Septimer

Him-Again
Clan Member
Clan Member

Post by Him-Again » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:19 pm

Man we get that crap all the time over here in Australia
Just ask them how it is they can see into your computer ?
And they just hang up :lmao: :lmao:

But it is bad for the old folk that get taking by these pricks
all the time
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS