No greater gift can be given, than ones own life!

Anything You want to talk about NOT ET related. Drop in and say Hi.
Billdoe

No greater gift can be given, than ones own life!

Post by Billdoe » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:48 pm

- 6 June 2010: D-day + 66 years -

Because of the 66th anniversary of D-Day, the turning point in the war, I want to present to you some general info about D-day.

66 Years after WW2, we as an ET-community are still daily busy with WW2, and everything around it 66 years has past since this event occurred, that changed the world, and I, (and people all over the globe) want to keep it remembered, and keep it alive in our thoughts.

This is not only to remind us, to “Keep a watchful eye”, but it is also a reminder to give thanks, for all those who answer the ‘Call of Duty” by giving service in the “Armed forces.”

“No greater gift can be given, than ones own life, so others may live . . . in Freedom”

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

On June 6, 1944, 150,000 Allied soldiers clambered aboard heaving landing craft and braved six-foot swells, waves of machine gun fire, and more than 6 million mines to claim a stretch of sand at a place called Normandy. Their mission was to carve out an Allied foothold on the edge of Nazi-occupied Europe for the army of more than one million that would follow them in the summer of 1944. This army would burst forth from the beachhead, rolling across Europe into the heart of Germany, liberating millions, toppling a genocidal regime, and ending a nightmare along the way. But it all began on this beach in France, with an army of teenagers on a day called D-Day.

In its historical and human consequences, D-Day is epic. A turning point in the course of the war, D-Day signaled the beginning of the end of the age of fascism and the return of hope to millions in occupied nations globally. Moreover, as the largest land, air, and sea invasion in history, D-Day drew upon human and military resources on an unprecedented scale, one consequence of which was the creation of an unprecedented number of veterans of a single battle. There are more veterans of D-Day than any other engagement in the Second World War, derived from every sector of our population and reflecting a wide variety of backgrounds, each one with a distinct and unique story of D-Day to share the story of ordinary men and women living in extraordinary times.

The 66th Anniversary of D-Day represents one of the last best opportunities for dialogue about this pivotal moment in history between large numbers of those who lived it, those who study it, and those who live with its effects.

(Source)
Wikipedia about D-day

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

I urge you, the ET community, to take full advantage of this extraordinary moment, if in no other way, but to give thanks to those, who made the ultimate sacrifice, for our freedom!

“No greater gift can be given, than ones own life, so others may live . . . in Freedom”

(A quote from one of my previous writings: "Of every 100 Men")
It is not the strongest of the species that survives,
Nor the most intelligent,
But the one most responsive to change.

Investigate, Improvise, Adapt, Overcome.

GunClap
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Post by GunClap » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:27 pm

Nice and true. Bless you for having the spirit to talk about our heroes with such pride. I myself gave my own personal thanks to the many who did and didn't return from that hell. I give thanks and I hope we never forget what our courageous endured, praying we never have to go through the same.

Well said Bill.
Your mind is a weapon. Keep it clean, clear and loaded...

Billdoe

Post by Billdoe » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:34 pm

Thanks, GunClap.

I appreciate your making a post, and showing that we share the same gratitude, sorrow, and pride, for all that have, or now do serve, to protect our freedom.

I would like to invite you and others of the forum, to read a similar writing of mine, (I write song lyrics, poems, short stories, etc.), from a previous post, called: 'Of Ever Hundred Men'.

I also would like to congratulate you on your ET ranking, at Splatter ladder.

Well done, my hat's off to you. :wtg:
It is not the strongest of the species that survives,
Nor the most intelligent,
But the one most responsive to change.

Investigate, Improvise, Adapt, Overcome.