Running Problem

General ET: Quake Wars Talk
dickcheneyhunting
BBA Wannabe
BBA Wannabe

Running Problem

Post by dickcheneyhunting » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:25 pm

I installed it but when I ran the program it says The OpenGL Driver doesn't support wglChoosePixelFormatARB. :wall: I read online a lot of suggestions about updating the driver (somthing) thru internet. Is there some way I can fix this without having to go online since I still can not figure out how to get the internet for the new rig? :help:

Sissyboy
Clan Member
Clan Member

Post by Sissyboy » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:33 pm

Did you update your QW with the newest patch?

I would also get the newest driver for your video card.

A hub.. plug the network cable into the hub and then plug your two computers into the hub.

$20 for a hub ... or so.
Will Ban for Stroyent.

Sissyboy
Clan Member
Clan Member

Post by Sissyboy » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:37 pm

Will Ban for Stroyent.

-999-
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member
Location: Strangled, pounced, boomed, hit with concrete and somehow on fire with pipe bomb under me

Post by -999- » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:54 pm

Yep you'll have to uninstall your current drivers and install the newest, either you're running the default windows driver or your current driver is corrupt. Also if you're getting one, get a switch not a hub. :lol:

Are you doing cable internet or dsl (or possibly fios)? Do you have a router?

KrispyKritter
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Post by KrispyKritter » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:34 pm

Or use SneakerNet to get the updates: download on connected computer, copy to usb flash drive, sneaker it over to the new unit, and ...

You'll need a router or hub anyway.

You might get a KVM switch (Keyboard-Video-Mouse) so you can more conveniently operate both units at same time, with only one K, V & Mouse.

KVMs are really convienient when all your relatives and friends want you to fix their computers.

( FIOS :drool: ) :envy:
KrispyKritter aka Chatty (glitchy finger) Charlie
Image(pcB)

dickcheneyhunting
BBA Wannabe
BBA Wannabe

Post by dickcheneyhunting » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:46 pm

Yeah I connected the new rig yesterday to fix all the problems it had. everything running fine now especially etqw. I think I made the mistake 999 mentioned about installing the window vista driver instead of the nvidia one. Thanks for help, but I am confused I thought all I needed was a hub? I have this verizon small dsl modem box with 1 yellow cable that goes to the back of this pc. I believe the hub like sissy mentioned would go to the other end of the yellow cable and then I would just connect both pcs to the hub. I do understand where the switch would come in. :doh:

Zeus
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Post by Zeus » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:57 pm

Hub is a shared connection, ie, only one system at a time will be able to utilize the connection, switch allows everything connected to it full access all the time. A router will do what you want.

dickcheneyhunting
BBA Wannabe
BBA Wannabe

Post by dickcheneyhunting » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:14 pm

ka, I guess switch it is then what I need. :hail:

Zeus
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Post by Zeus » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:16 pm

dickcheneyhunting wrote:ka, I guess switch it is then what I need. :hail:
A ROUTER is what you want Cheney.
Last edited by Zeus on Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KrispyKritter
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Post by KrispyKritter » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:20 pm

KrispyKritter wrote:You'll need a router or hub anyway.
Zeus wrote:Hub is a shared connection, ie, only one system at a time will be able to utilize the connection, switch allows everything connected to it full access all the time
Thanks for educating me, Zeus. I had assumed the hub I had allowed full access all the time. I wonder if that caused me mysterious problems back in those days. I do remember wondering why one would buy a switch, since the functions seem to be the same as I assssumed a hub had.
KrispyKritter aka Chatty (glitchy finger) Charlie
Image(pcB)

ChairmanMao

Post by ChairmanMao » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:31 am

If you just want to use one keyboard and mouse on two computers, you can do it all via software.

If you only have one display, use VNC, light TightVNC to access the second screen on your main PC. Then use Synergy Plus to share the keyboard and mouse:

http://www.tightvnc.com/

http://code.google.com/p/synergy-plus/

And Krispy, to add some more to the Hub and Switch thing. With a hub, the network connection is shared between all the devices connected to it and traffic is sent through every port. So you can use a hub to access the internet on both computers, but you will not get the best performance as all network traffic will go to each computer.

With a switch, only traffic distined to a particular computer will be sent through the port to which that computer is connected. Thus the network is utilised much more efficiently. A switch is much better than a hub if you have a few computers on the network since network traffic is sent only to the port to which it is required, not to all ports.

In my case, when I wanted to sniff my network traffic, I needed to use a hub since it allowed me to tap into all the traffic on my network. A switch didn't work since it would only allow me to sniff the traffic sent direclty to my network sniffer.

Basically, for networking, go for a switch, hubs aren't much use anymore imho.

Zeus
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Post by Zeus » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:16 pm

Zeus wrote: A ROUTER is what you want Cheney
You guys are beating a dead horse here, too much info can be more harmful then not enough, simple straight forward answer, answered in layman's terms works. This is heading off topic.