Any recommendations?

General ET: Quake Wars Talk
dickcheneyhunting
BBA Wannabe
BBA Wannabe

Any recommendations?

Post by dickcheneyhunting » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:56 pm

I already have recieved most of the pc parts for the rig am building. I was wondering if any current quake wars player have any suggestion as to where I should start with the game. I am pretty above average on ET, so does that mean I should problably play single player in normal difficulty? or no its really different from ET. :chin:

OhMyHead
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Post by OhMyHead » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:02 pm

You have an advantage by being a seasoned ET player, but it is quite different. Definitely play single player for a bit before jumping in. You have the ability to set as few or as many enemies you want to run into on single player. Practice your flying and learn the various pros and cons of the land, sea, and air vehicles.

Also, building things is way different. And practice the special tools used by coverts on both sides. Allies have a roving exploding camera which can come in VERY handy for sneaking past the enemy to blow up objectives.

And of course learning your way around the stock maps can't hurt. :wtg:

Sissyboy
Clan Member
Clan Member

Post by Sissyboy » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:04 pm

I never played the single player.

I played the demo online for hours before I bought the game. That's how I learned.

But I never played ET before only quake, so the learning curve was probably higher for me than it will be for you.

I would pick a side, GDF or Strogg, and a particular class... say engineer and stick with the same class until you are comfortable and know what to do.

And then I would begin to explore new classes.

My favorite is engineer as GDF and constructor as a strogg. Both are about the same.

Of course it will take some time to learn the maps.. but no way around that.

There should be a training voice on when you first start the game. It will help you to learn.

So.. I would skip the single player, and hop online. I will help you, and just about every regular on the server will take the time to help you.
Just give em a shout out and let them know that you are new.

looking forward to playing with you!
I'm smelling fresh blood/stroyent!

:rambo: :w00t:
Will Ban for Stroyent.

wildebeast

Post by wildebeast » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:22 pm

A ton of ETQW info here including sample configs and such

http://4newbies.planetwolfenstein.games ... /index.php

Never played the single player, so not sure what to say on that. If you start with multiplayer, try to get on when it's just you and the bots and join whichever side is offense. Some tips:

1- Ensure tooltips and the annoying voice that accompanies them are enabled...they will tell you where to go and what to do

2- The limbo menu will tell you what the next obj is, and what class you need to be to accomplish it.

3- Use the command map in your upper screen to see where your objectives are and where you are facing in relation to the obj

4- Never ever ever stoop to using the hyperblaster :lol:

It definitely is a much steeper learning curve than ET, with the tools, vehicles, and deployables but IMO a much more enjoyable game once you get the hang of it.

Zeus
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Post by Zeus » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:27 pm

Was no such thing as single player when I started in the super secretive closed beta a couple years ago having to learn on the fly while playing developers, modders etc like Jaybird from Jaymod.

Alot of good points posted here already and while there is a STEEP learning curve on the game, its well worth it if you stick to it.

Ignore Wildebeasts hyperblaster tip though, 108 kills FTW!!!! :w00t:

dickcheneyhunting
BBA Wannabe
BBA Wannabe

Post by dickcheneyhunting » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:19 pm

planetwoflenstien4newbiesetqw wrote:While not really a weapon, the GDF Defibrillators and the Strogg Stroyent Tool can cause damage. It is the penultimate achievement and the utmost of humiliations to be killed with the Defibrillators.
Sounds like the poison syringe to me. :roll:
Blaster does not consume Stroyent
Why do most of the Strogg weapons say this line? :help:
Unsupported Aggressors will go through Stroyent very quickly and need Technician support to keep topped off.
Wow that really says teamwork, which I love. :hic:

OhMyHead
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Post by OhMyHead » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:27 pm

Ooh! I forgot to mention the covert on the Strogg side (I forget what that's called, it's been a while), they have the ability to transport themselves! You toss this disc thing up in some piping or way up on a cliff or building roof, then get into a fight on the ground, and mid-fight, THWOOP! You are now standing where you put that disc and raining fire down on your enemy's head. hehehe MAN I loved that.

dickcheneyhunting
BBA Wannabe
BBA Wannabe

Post by dickcheneyhunting » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:32 pm

Wow am surprised they included that in the game OMH. IMO, I think it sounds like cheating if you leave a fire-fight and appear somewhere else to fight off the enemy from behind. Why not just go around him like most people do to me and turtle. :wall:

OhMyHead
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Post by OhMyHead » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:47 pm

Yeah, it's cheating, all right. Especially when the GDF doesn't have that capability.

Drop the disc at the obj drop off point, then run off to fight. GDF grabs the obj and THWOOP! You all the way back across the map waiting for them to show up with the obj. :lol: The trick of course is to stay alive long enough to use the transport thingie effectively.

M13
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Post by M13 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:58 pm

I fired up single player just long enough to get used to the controls and the basics on how you move, and the objectives. It's a lot different than ET. Teamwork is really needed in QW to either defend or attack effectively.

The biggest change from ET is voip. Get that set up right from the start!!! Use it!!! Once you dive in, ask questions. You know all us BBA, and quite a few regulars, will help.