Bots

General ET: Quake Wars Talk
m1
Banned Idiot
Banned Idiot

Post by m1 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:54 pm

just registered so i could post this. i like playing on your server because of the unlim. xp.

the problem i have is with the bots. not the way they play, but they way they affect team balance. it is possible and has happened many times for me, that you get one full team of real people and one team with 6 bots and 1 real person.

if 4 real people are playing, the server is still 6 on 6. a new player connecting can then join either team and replace one of the bots, regardless of how many real players are on either team.

is there a way to make the teams auto balance without counting the bots, and then add them to fill out the teams?

team balance is hard to acheive even without the bots. one team gets stacked and makes the other team members quit.. then when its 12 on 8 no one wants to switch. the bots almost make it worse because they are valued by the server as being equal to a human.... watch them for 5 minutes and you will see that they are pretty stupid :)

Mutt
Clan Member
Clan Member

Post by Mutt » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:56 pm

m1 wrote:just registered so i could post this. i like playing on your server because of the unlim. xp.

the problem i have is with the bots. not the way they play, but they way they affect team balance. it is possible and has happened many times for me, that you get one full team of real people and one team with 6 bots and 1 real person.

if 4 real people are playing, the server is still 6 on 6. a new player connecting can then join either team and replace one of the bots, regardless of how many real players are on either team.

is there a way to make the teams auto balance without counting the bots, and then add them to fill out the teams?

team balance is hard to acheive even without the bots. one team gets stacked and makes the other team members quit.. then when its 12 on 8 no one wants to switch. the bots almost make it worse because they are valued by the server as being equal to a human.... watch them for 5 minutes and you will see that they are pretty stupid :)
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, we are planning on adding some hooks into BBAMod to enforce team balance with the bots, specifically so we dont have cases where its humans vs bots :wtg:

Zeus
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Post by Zeus » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:59 pm

m1 wrote:just registered so i could post this. i like playing on your server because of the unlim. xp.

Absolutely understand where your coming from bro, heres a little inside info for you from our BBA Mod upcoming features Dev log:

Code: Select all

- check # of bots -- if one side has bots and the other does not, human players _must_ replace the bots
So hang tight, we are building and fixing the best we can. :wtg:

Edit - Mutt beat me to it. :cry:

m1
Banned Idiot
Banned Idiot

Post by m1 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:41 pm

any chance the bots could be removed from 1 of the 2 servers? i play during off peak hours sometimes and its fairly hard to get an even match going.

I just logged off of one of them and when i joined it was 6 gdf vs 6 strogg bots.. i join strogg cause i like to try to even stuff up. 2 maps later its 6 strogg vs 6 gdf bots.. i wasnt about to switch just to get beat up by real ppl.

maybe just limit it to 2 bots per team on one of them for the ppl that join it empty.

some of my friends wont even join me on the server because it doesnt fit their filters. even when its 14 on 14 ppl, no bots, they wont join a "bot" server.

also, not to point fingers, but ive seen a number of times when bba members were on when this was happening.. i would have thought that you would encourage members to keep teams even, by moving the skilled players or themselves from side to side. not trying to tattle, just trying to even the games up.

Zeus
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Post by Zeus » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:56 pm

I actually have been meaing to knock down the amount of bots, those were our early day settings. :wtg:

The BBA member thing is more complicated, first off, the admin rights have been hosed on QW since day 1 with no help from ID on it, we just fixed it ourselves with the latest version of BBA Mod so most BBA didnt even have admin abilitys. Secondly we have different levels of membership, some are just clan members who dont want to admin, but mainly just play and thats the right they have, then we have admins who do take care of issues.

Remember though we pay for and maintain the servers to play also, not just admin and babysit. :wtg:

Thanks

Zeus

Mutt
Clan Member
Clan Member

Post by Mutt » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:11 pm

m1 wrote:some of my friends wont even join me on the server because it doesnt fit their filters. even when its 14 on 14 ppl, no bots, they wont join a "bot" server.
Hm. Let me see if it's possible to code in something that if the server drops to 0 bots, shut off bots so it reports to the master servers that we're a no bot site. Then, if the code detects that the number of players drops below a certain threshold, re-engage the bots to come back. That way we show as a no bot server when we're no bots, and when we need bots, we show as having bots.

:chin:

m1
Banned Idiot
Banned Idiot

Post by m1 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:55 am

mutt, that seems awful complicated. please dont go to any extremes to satisfy my forum posts. and again, i know the difficulty in running a server, much less keeping players happy :). just trying to do my part in relaying what i see.

and zeus, i didnt mean to imply that your members weren't living up to your expectations, i was just trying to get more even matches.

to that end, let me say thanks for supplying the 2 servers. i was part of the nd80 w:et community and i saw how the members forced the admins to shut it down. there's a fine line between helpful and bitchy :)

Mutt
Clan Member
Clan Member

Post by Mutt » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:35 am

Nah, it wouldn't be that bad. We're out to make a better QW, and its those sorts of tweaks we're looking for that make for a better QW experience. Zeus did some playing last night, and it turns out its part of the stock code to do that anyways :)

Thanks for the feedback!

ArsArgent
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Post by ArsArgent » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:59 pm

Mutt wrote:Nah, it wouldn't be that bad. We're out to make a better QW, and its those sorts of tweaks we're looking for that make for a better QW experience. Zeus did some playing last night, and it turns out its part of the stock code to do that anyways :)

Thanks for the feedback!
How about having the bots nude and female? (No offence to the ladies out there). That would make it easy to see them as non-human.

Hmmmm game play WOULD be some what different... I can see it now... Make Love Not War!!!! :lol:

Killdrover
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Post by Killdrover » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:22 pm

ArsArgent wrote:
Mutt wrote:Nah, it wouldn't be that bad. We're out to make a better QW, and its those sorts of tweaks we're looking for that make for a better QW experience. Zeus did some playing last night, and it turns out its part of the stock code to do that anyways :)

Thanks for the feedback!
How about having the bots nude and female? (No offence to the ladies out there). That would make it easy to see them as non-human.

Hmmmm game play WOULD be some what different... I can see it now... Make Love Not War!!!! :lol:

theres allways one who has to spoil the fun :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:.and as i read on this earlier the bots are anoying cuss they nick all the trucks and tanks pluss they not help :lmao:

Killdrover
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Post by Killdrover » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:35 pm

Remember though we pay for and maintain the servers to play also, not just admin and babysit. :wtg:

oh zeus i thought that was my job to baby sit the servers :lmao: :wtg:

_dTd_

Post by _dTd_ » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:45 pm

I like the bots, they are pretty durn accurate, but at least there's full teams