HTC Thunderbolt

Post by Zeus » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:33 pm

Nice looking phone, may be my next one.

http://www.htc.com/us/products/thunderbolt-verizon

GunClap
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Post by GunClap » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:12 am

HTC don't seem to be as adventurous anymore. Their technology in their newer phones isn't as "cutting edge" as it was.

As for this phone, the hardware seems strangely underpowered when compared to that of the Desire HD. Not much in it. OK, you get a new noise cancelling mic, but 768MB ram? I was expecting more. As for a 1400mAh battery with a screen that large, expect to charge it once per day under standard usage.

And what's with this obsession with "soft-touch" buttons? I hate them with a blind vengance. I don't want my keys to give "haptic feedback", you can't replace a satisfying, mechanical "click". The noticable feeling under the finger as the button's domesheet bends is in no way comparable and the risk of accidental presses goes way up with soft touch...

(more gripe, sorry)

I think that motorola one looks better.
Your mind is a weapon. Keep it clean, clear and loaded...

OhMyHead
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Post by OhMyHead » Tue May 24, 2011 12:29 am

I'm due for an upgrade in August. Unless some new beast comes out that crushes the TB, Ima get me one! A giant Incredible. Bliss.

Simtech
Clan Member
Clan Member

Post by Simtech » Tue May 24, 2011 7:04 pm

I've heard the battery has major suckage...
ImageImage

Zeus
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Post by Zeus » Tue May 24, 2011 8:16 pm

Simtech wrote:I've heard the battery has major suckage...
Its a "smart" phone, they all suck. lol

OhMyHead
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Post by OhMyHead » Tue May 24, 2011 8:17 pm

The Incredible's battery bites it, too. I am never without my charger or one or two extra batteries, or both. Totally used to sucky battery life.

GunClap
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Post by GunClap » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:58 am

Well, kinda depends on what you have running.
My HTC desire realistically lasts 1 day with mobile internet on and minimal usage, but if you turn off mobile internet, wifi and bluetooth, you can easily get 5-7 days use before a recharge. It's the mobile internet that's the real killer (trust me, I'm an engineer).

I use the power button menu to turn on and off mobile internet as and when I need it. I use wifi at home and even though I generally have my Jabra Clipper bluetooth headset on constantly, I use about 15% a day. Poor battery life is perception based. I get loads of phones in at work from people complaining they only get half a days use when they have wifi, bluetooth and mobile internet running at the same time.

The best way I can described it is: "You have the power of a laptop in a phone. The fact that your phone lasts half a day with everything going and a laptop lasts 3 hours in the same state is pretty impressive."

It's a slight change in your day to day routine, but I advise you practice turning off mobile internet when you set off somewhere and have an auto-sync wiget on your desktop. If you're waiting for an email, rather than leaving mobile internet running, just turn it on once an hour and re-sync all. You'll notice how a once-a-2-days charge will be more than sufficient. I do realise that for some people, having mobile internet for push messages relating to work is a must, but that's where picking a phone for battery life becomes more important than the mass amount of additional functionality.

There are plenty of phones out there that have mobile internet and amazing battery power with an e-mail client and basic WAP browser, but they're generally proprietary based and don't have the amazing functionality that Android based handsets offer. For those interested in phones like this, check out the Sonim of phones. They're damn near indestructable straight out of the shop. No additional protective casing needed.
Your mind is a weapon. Keep it clean, clear and loaded...

OhMyHead
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Post by OhMyHead » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:08 am

Thanks for the info, GunClap. I shall endeavor to make it so!