Electric Bike Scooter...Thing

Any Sports you want to chat about, also Automotive help or talk.
OhMyHead
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Electric Bike Scooter...Thing

Post by OhMyHead » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:01 am

Guys, times are tough. And waiting around for buses, and then having to ride on them, spending hours a day on them, has got me near-homicidal. And since I've already gotten past the humiliation of being seen on two wheels by riding my bicycle all over god's green earth for months now, I think I am ready to score one of these. And I'm even prepared to be called "Scooter" if necessary.

So, anyone have any insight on such things? This one's $825.00 US (w/free shipping). I can't afford anything even a dollar more. And bus fare for the next year will cost me $650.00 US. So it would practically pay for itself. Are there other brands of something like this I could take a look at?

The beauty of this is that it's street legal, but doesn't require a driver's license, registration, or insurance. Or even a helmet!

Renovatio_

Post by Renovatio_ » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:11 am

So these dont run on gas? You just plug them in when you are done riding?
sounds pretty convenient. I've never seen one before, but I like how they put extreme on it to make it sound cooler, lol.

You might consider buying something else. for example this :

Look at it! It even has a basket where you can put all your stuff in! LOOK!!

Caroline20
Clan Member
Clan Member

Post by Caroline20 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:13 am

Silly Reno.
OMH: One hour in action and seven hours of charging?
Repair the Septimer

KrispyKritter
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Post by KrispyKritter » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:55 am

OMH can see himself crusin' down the road with Heavy Metal in the background!

I played this one:
[youtube][/youtube]
And the one below, from .. http://www.bbaservers.com/ftopicp-57762.html#57762 .. both playing at once. You can turn the volume of the bike demo down or off, and play it about three times for the length of the Jim Carrey clip. I prefer bike volume up, to imagine OMH groovin' to it as he green-machines down the road (for 20 - 25 miles or so).
[youtube][/youtube]
Another thought: will they let you charge it at work?
KrispyKritter aka Chatty (glitchy finger) Charlie
Image(pcB)

dax
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Post by dax » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:10 pm

I have a family member that bought one of these a couple years ago..... pain in the rear. Batteries are NOT effecient and not only do not hold a charge for long, will need replaced within a short period of time. If they can improve the battery life and effeciency then go for it..... cheap transportation if you don't look at the cost of replacing those batteries ( i think you will spend about 200 each time for 4).

OhMyHead
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Post by OhMyHead » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:28 pm

Thanks for your input everyone! God help me, I just bought one. :eek:

A fool and his money are soon parted. It's ok though. I used to say "A fool and his money are soon partying." :D

p.s. The girlfriend offered to loan me like $800 to get a much better model. Uh, I passed. :lol:

bibizz944x
Clan Member
Clan Member

Post by bibizz944x » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:55 pm

The power of the XB-508 electric bicycle comes standard with a large 550 watt brushless rear hub motor (hub = installed in the center of the rear wheel) that is powered by 4 large high power batteries that will last 3 years or more & can be re-charged more than 300 times. The electric bicycle will travel 20 to 25 miles on a single charge. The XB-508 is a great tool for commuters or those working on large campuses.

ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

IN big you got 6000-7500 milles to run before spanding money on batteries :wtg:

Renovatio_

Post by Renovatio_ » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:09 pm

yeah after all, your choice was better than mine.

So you ordered it, cool! So here's what you do when you get it.
1) Unpack it! of course (would be silly if you didnt, it would be just a box with something in it)
2) Scream wiiii, look at how pretty it is!
3) Go to your room. Open your closet, wear ALL the bling you got. bracelets, watches, mouth pieces...
4) Take photo off you posing near your scooter.
5) Post it on here! (I promise I wont laugh)
6) Sell back the pictures to the company. They will use them for future advertisements and you get your money back.

Sounds like a pretty good plan to me!

Diehard
Clan Member
Clan Member

Post by Diehard » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:09 pm

Check this out! It was in November Playboy, this looks more your style OMH.

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-s.php
New Off Road Version :wtg:

Looks like you could really rack you balls on this puppy.

Bye the way OMH how do you get the honor of being an Official BBA Spammer?

dax
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Post by dax » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:19 pm

bibizz944x wrote: IN big you got 6000-7500 milles to run before spanding money on batteries :wtg:
Yeah, good luck with that.....

let us know how long it is before you really have to buy batteries..... I place my money on about 1200 miles.....

Dax

OhMyHead
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Post by OhMyHead » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:36 am

Bibi, fingers crossed that's the case!

Reno = Genius!

Diehard, while those certainly do look cool, that first one is TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS! :lmao: And surely requires a driver's license, something I am soooo WITHOUT right now. Also, I don't know who gave me that title, nor did I know it was an honor to BE that. :D I suppose it has something to do with the thread I started that has about 50,000 views?

Dax, have a little faith, my friend. I have a more positive outlook on things these days. If it turns out you are right, well, I suppose I will have learned something about batteries and scooters and advertising and and and stuff. Not the end of the world, and I'll still have fun with it. Can you dig it?

OhMyHead
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Post by OhMyHead » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:08 am

Guess what I forgot to do before I bought this thing. I forgot to ask my probation officer about it. When I happily told him I bought it, he happily ordered me not to ride it. Ever. My terms of probation say I can not operate a "motor vehicle". This scooter is not considered a "motor vehicle", even though there is a motor on it. And because there's a motor on it, they said NO.

:wall:

My only hope is to put together an informational email explaining how legal it is, and then get him to show it to the judge. And then hope the judge allows it. If not, I'll have to sell or store it. For a year.

OhMyHead
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Post by OhMyHead » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:25 am

"Phil" has arrived!!! Many of the screws have oxidized or something, and there's a small bit of rust. How lame. But I put it all together and it's now charging in the garage. My scandalous housemates are all drooling over it.

And no, I'm still not allowed to ride it. :( Will update here if/when I get probation and the court to un-eff me on this.

OhMyHead
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Post by OhMyHead » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:03 pm

dax wrote:I have a family member that bought one of these a couple years ago..... pain in the rear. Batteries are NOT effecient and not only do not hold a charge for long, will need replaced within a short period of time. If they can improve the battery life and effeciency then go for it..... cheap transportation if you don't look at the cost of replacing those batteries ( i think you will spend about 200 each time for 4).
Scooter Update! I got my probation officer to tell the judge about it, who said he'd get with a traffic court judge to make sure he fully understood the laws involved. Ten days later, my PO said he thought the judge had probably not gotten around to it yet, but if the thing really isn't considered a "motor vehicle", I could probably ride it. I said I thought it needed a sticker or special plate from the Seventh Circle of Hell, er, I mean, the Department of Motor Vehicles. He said to get that and then ride it to his office so he can see it. All I heard was "Blah blah blah you can ride it blah blah. :lol:

I rode it to the DMV and got the run-around. THEY didn't know what it was or what to do with it either! I am to call the state capital and ask them what it needs, if anything. I asked the inspector lady at the DMV if it was legal to ride before I heard from Sacramento and she said, "Well, you don't need a license or insurance on it, sooooo...*shrug*. That sounded just like a YES to me. :lol:

I am really asking for it riding it around these last 3 days, but I am frankly sick of waiting. Now, on to what dax said...

Looks like you're correct. At least about not holding a charge. I called the guy I bought it from and said, "25 miles my ass!" He said, "Those numbers are based on 2/3 throttle, not full throttle." 0_o Nowhere did I read anything about 2/3 throttle on their site, or anyone else's for that matter. What is it about people who sell vehicles that compels them to LIE? Or at least withold the truth?

It looks like at full throttle (20mph), this thing will go maaaaybe 15 miles. And that may not be enough to get me to DUI School and back. :mad: It will however get me to my other daily commitments, so it is not a total loss.

p.s. I put this sticker on the back of my helmet. :lol:

Eviscerator
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Post by Eviscerator » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:37 pm

Can you carry around a second battery when you ride it to DUI school?