Military kudos...yet fail

Anything You want to talk about NOT ET related. Drop in and say Hi.
Digger
Clan Member
Clan Member

Military kudos...yet fail

Post by Digger » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:59 pm

Attended the (somewhat) local Rockford Air Fest earlier today with my wife and son. Had a great time until the heat got to my wife and son...lots of cool planes, stunt, acrobatics, etc. Although I've never actually flown a plane (playing Fighter Ace for 4 years online doesn't count...), I really appreciate their skills and talents.
Anyway, on the way in to the show, there were tons of military at the gate. Some were checking bags, purses, backpacks, etc. I walked in first and got both my chair bags patted down, my son walked in second and my wife walked in last and got her chair patted down along with her purse checked (small thing, about 10" x 8"). However, foot traffic wasn't very heavy yet so it wasn't a bother and I'd rather have the security and safety aspect addressed than any personal inconvenience I might have felt. I was impressed that they were thorough with our stuff. However, my son walked in with a small backpack on his back, packed full of granola bars, sun screen, a program we just bought, extra clothing, etc. and never got a second look. His backpack could carry three times what my wife's purse could hold but nary a glance. If they're not going to check everything, then it really has to be considered a fail. I appreciate everything our military does for us (my father was in the army) but this soldier fell just a bit short of my expectations.

dax
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Post by dax » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:48 pm

yes... just ask Arnold Schwarzenegger.... terrorists can hide bombs and cellular detonation devices in toy dinosaurs!