Howdy- Need help

Need help? Or just want to chat about your rig.
Old_Man
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Howdy- Need help

Post by Old_Man » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:30 pm

Hi everybody! After some resolved issues, I'm trying to return to the BBA gaming world. I now have Windows 7 and a TrendNet router (TEW652BRP) that won't allow me to connect to the internet. Every time I start ET the router ups and dies on me. When I get out of the game the internet is gone until I unplug and reset the router. I've uninstalled and reinstalled ET several times with the same result. Don't have any other issues except for ET. Any suggestion?

Damn, it's good to be back here.

Old Man

Old_Man
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Post by Old_Man » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:22 pm

Update: The WLAN light goes out on the router when I load ET and try to connect. For what ever that's worth. Also, the game freezes if I try to connect directly to BBA with the ~ thingy and /connect bba1.badassservers.net

Old_Man
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Post by Old_Man » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:01 pm

Also did Firmware update on router.

Old_Man
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Post by Old_Man » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:17 pm

Crap... did I post this in the wrong area?

Simtech
Clan Member
Clan Member

Post by Simtech » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:27 pm

lol.. no, we just don't know what to do! lol
Hiya OldMan!!
ImageImage

bloodbane
Clan Member
Clan Member

Post by bloodbane » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:31 pm

Hey Old Man! Hope all is well.
Sorry, not sure about the Trendnet. Wish I could help. Can you get hooked up without the router in place?

KrispyKritter
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Post by KrispyKritter » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:01 pm

Did you open a port in the firewall for ET?

Wrong question. Did not read query closely enough. Sorry
Last edited by KrispyKritter on Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KrispyKritter aka Chatty (glitchy finger) Charlie
Image(pcB)

GunClap
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Post by GunClap » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:40 am

Yeah, nearly all the routers now have firewalls and those before simply blocked ports until you opened them. Best log on to it and check, but that wouldn't stop it functioning, it would simply not connect. So what's happened?

Well, between the game executing and the router failing, there's a LOT that could go wrong to emulate that problem. I wouldn't know where to begin, but here's just a list of things you might have to check.

1: All hardware involved in the connection (router, cables, NIC, modem etc.)
2: power levels (for all hardware involved)
2: port forwarding
3: DHCP settings
4: ARP Cache
5: Application blocking by OS
6: LSP configuration
7: Network services and installed protocols
8: PB, ET and Jaymod...

So there's just a small sample of what it 'could' be... If I come up with any good ideas, I'll let you know.
Your mind is a weapon. Keep it clean, clear and loaded...

KrispyKritter
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Post by KrispyKritter » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:09 pm

Did a google and found an unrelated problem reported:

This person had a device that did not use security encryption, so he used MAC-filtering instead, which did not work in the way you'd expect.....
-----------------------------
http://www.zdnet.com/reviews/product/ro ... r/33289325
"""""""""""""""""""""""""""" MAC Filtering is ridiculous
I had to resort to MAC filtering as one of my wireless devices did not support security encryption. To my surprise, the MAC Filtering on this device only means it would not allow other devices (i.e. devices not in the MAC table) from accessing the Internet. But they can access my network and access any of the devices already on my network. I found this out only because one of my neighbors' device requested to share my media library. On further investigating found that they were connected to my router even tough they were not in the MAC table. This is scary and if you plan to use the router with similar setup, stay away from this router. This is not even documented anywhere though if you look at the help (from the router's admin/setup page), it mentions something similar but not very clear. The tech support was also not aware of this and wanted me to reset the device and start all over again. If it has happened once, I am not going to risk using this device even if reset does the trick. Another thing that surprised me while using MAC filter was, even hard wired machines to this device needs to be added to the MAC table to access Internet. This though not a big problem is not documented.
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
Image(pcB)

Old_Man
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Post by Old_Man » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:50 pm

Thanks everybody. Good to see you all again.

Simtech: LOL I meant that perhaps this should have been in the ET section

KrispyKritter: That's what I get for going cheap.

GunClap: Didn't understand half of what you were talking about. LOL

Bloodbane: Duh...forgot about bypassing the router. Worked fine. I'll just have to play when nobody is around the house needing the internet. Which is when I usually play anyway.

Thanks again! You guys are the greatest. See you in battle. Hopefully....

KrispyKritter
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Post by KrispyKritter » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:43 pm

Be interesting to see if other programs or games that use UDP also cause problems.

ET runs with PB, which uses TCP, so I wonder if the router has trouble routing UDP and TCP at the same time? At about the same time, that is.

Try ET on a non-PBusted server. :wall:
Image(pcB)

Old_Man
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Post by Old_Man » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:36 pm

KrispyKritter wrote:Be interesting to see if other programs or games that use UDP also cause problems.

ET runs with PB, which uses TCP, so I wonder if the router has trouble routing UDP and TCP at the same time? At about the same time, that is.

Try ET on a non-PBusted server. :wall:

Thanks Krispy. Tried with PB disabled and get the same results. Happens when I try to go to Play Online or type in a connection. WLAN cuts out about 5 secs after. Ok when the game loads and I don't try to go anywhere. Also happens when I boot into the XP OS partition as well. No other internet connections do this. Weird.