Wireless Network issues

Need help? Or just want to chat about your rig.
Hammer137

Wireless Network issues

Post by Hammer137 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:17 pm

Im not sure how many of you'se run wireless networks, but we recently put one up in our house and i've been having a few problems. i have the wireless router set up in my basement along with my computer(wired driectly) and my xbox 360 (wired directly) but i have been having problems with the other computer we own. i am running the D-Link
Dl-524 router and am running the DWLG122 USB network adapter on the other pc which is upstairs. The problem is, once i have the network confiured and everything is running fine, the wireless connection upstairs will suddely be lost and then i have to reconfigure the whole system again. the computer connected wirelessly is only about 30 feet away and when i get a conection going it shows a 4 bar, very strong connection. also, i have it 64 bit encrypted to keep bandwidth stealers away. is there some sort of range booster that i can run or what is my problem? well Nerdy, here is your chance to get started on your computer networking career :P

Simtech
Clan Member
Clan Member

Post by Simtech » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:58 pm

Sometimes if you try MAC address lock access instead of encription it works better. MAC address lock keeps the goonies out too...
I run strickly wireless at my house. 2 desktops and 2 laptops.....
ImageImage

whacknut

Post by whacknut » Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:01 am

Theres several range extenders you can use with that dlink, just go to circuit city or someplace and youll find them. Ive read of real cheap ones you can make with like pringles cans that work as good or better though heh. BTW what is between your router and your computer cause i believe anything with a strong em field (like a microwave) can disrupt it. I have the dl 514 i think and it just randomly drops like that too, try just unplugging it for a few minutes and plug it back in 4 out of 5 times that fixed it, the others i did the reconfigure.

if any of that makes sense to you, your a bloody genius heh.

Kons

Post by Kons » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:28 am

Simtech wrote:Sometimes if you try MAC address lock access instead of encription it works better. MAC address lock keeps the goonies out too...
I run strickly wireless at my house. 2 desktops and 2 laptops.....
My home is wireless as well and this is what I did. Seemed to make my connection on each system more efficient too. I know nothing about networking and used the support section of the Linksys site to figure our the proper config for my situation.

Zeus
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Post by Zeus » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:11 am

I would extend your wireless range only as a LAST RESORT, they already go far beyond where you want them to already.

Get your router to a higher point, change your antenna angles, and keep cordless phones away as those and microwaves can cause havoc on signal strength.

Cannon63

Post by Cannon63 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:13 am

Hope things work out Hammer. My one and only time I used wireless was with Linksys. I tried the Linksys WRT54GS wireless with speedboost. What I didn't know is that I bought a defective router. I couldn't get passed 11mbps. It dropped dead after 1 day. So I crawled around in my attic and hardwired everything. Pain yes, but worth it to me.

Laters

-999-
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member
Location: Strangled, pounced, boomed, hit with concrete and somehow on fire with pipe bomb under me

Post by -999- » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:16 pm

Different routers have various issues with encryption. Make sure you have the latest firmware for the router and newest drivers for the card. MAC filtering is always a good idea with wireless, but without encryption someone war driving or possibly even a next door neighbor can pick up on everything you do even if they can't get an address on your network.

If you can't use encryption, get your connection working and filtered mac's, then there should be somewhere in the settings that allows you to adjust the signal power. Drop it down as far as you can while keeping your connection functional, it'll drop the range anyone has to be within to pickup your network.

Hammer137

Post by Hammer137 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:54 pm

Firmware has been updated, issue resolved. Thanks everyone for the help.