Nvidia Video Card

Need help? Or just want to chat about your rig.
Hammer137

Nvidia Video Card

Post by Hammer137 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:53 pm

Does anyone have any suggestions on a video card for my system. SLI is needed and a price range about 200 bucks CDN. Anyone have a Make/Model they reccommend or have and have feedback on?

R3B3L
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member
Location: Filming 3 naked men in a cow pasture holding their whiffleball bats

Post by R3B3L » Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:48 am

I have a Nvidia gforce fx5500 I bought for $45 U.S. and havent had a single bit of lag in 6 months since I bought it. I only have 768mb of physical memory and the card has 256mb. 2.7 gig duel core cpu with hyperthreading technology. I am not running a high end gaming system but I have no problem running any game I want. You dont have to spend top dollar to have a machine run like one.

guardian

Post by guardian » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:23 am

Processor (CPU): Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 (2X 2.93GHz) 1066MHz FSB/ 4MB L2
Memory (RAM): 4096 MB Corsair DDR2 667MHz
Motherboard: ASUS P5W DH DELUX: DDR2, X16, 975X, chipset, 2 PCI
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP
USB Options: 6 X USB 2.0 Ports
Hard Disk 1: 750GB Serial ATA || Hard Drive with 16 MB Cache
Hard Disk 2: 750GB Serial ATA || Hard Drive with 16 MB Cache
DVD Writer: Formac Devideon 16x DVD/CD Re-writer Dual Layer Mac FW
DVD/CD Writer: External Firewire USB 2.0 NEC 4570 DVD Writer [N61]
Power Supply & cooling: 600W Super Quiet Quad Rail PSU + 120mm fan & CPU Coller

This is what i have now
and i'm really happy with it
Graphic Card: 1024MB GeForce 7950GX2 (Dual GPU) PCI Express + DVI + TV - OUT
Sound Card : Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro with External Kit
Power Supply & cooling: 600

so this is mine :lmao:

fairdeath

Post by fairdeath » Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:46 pm

Christ, got enough disk space guardian! You must do video editing or something, otherwise why!

Hammer, if you can wait, i'd recommend the new system that nVidia are bringing out. PCIx, its the best thing out, basically you get this chip (the name of it escapes me at the moment) and you join two exactly the same graphics cards (geforce 6800 for example). Buttt then i spose you have to buy a new motherboard, two graphics cards and the connector......ok backtrack!

The nVidia Geforce 6800 is a great card, pretty good quality but not mega expensive.
If this is sight, I'd rather be blind

-999-
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member
Location: Strangled, pounced, boomed, hit with concrete and somehow on fire with pipe bomb under me

Post by -999- » Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:08 pm

Pci-x is an old standard, mostly used in servers. Been around for years. I'm guessing you're talking about pci-e, which has been around for a couple years now.

Not sure why you specifically need sli. In most cases it's cheaper to buy one more power card. Only time sli is really ever needed is if you have an older card and you want to bump up your performance without buying a newer card, or if you do some time of video editing and/or 3d modeling, in which case you'd probably want to go with a quadro (which isn't good idea for gaming), or you must have the absolute best at the moment and a ton of money to burn.

What is it you're wanting to do with card. What games, etc? Agp or Pci-e?
For under $200 CA
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/ ... 93&CatId=0

If you're willing to spend a little more
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/ ... 64&CatId=0
both pci-e.
Need more info either way.

Hammer137

Post by Hammer137 » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:57 pm

PCIe is what i need. I will be playing alot of FPS games such as ET, ET:QW, F.E.A.R, COD2. I just mentioned SLI because my motherboard is SLI capable. I purchased the ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe board. And that first Geforce 7600GT I had been looking at. In the future, i would like to add a second card to the deal but for right now i just want a single that is SLI ready. too bad the 8800's are sooo expensive.

Hammer137

Post by Hammer137 » Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:13 pm

fairdeath wrote:Christ, got enough disk space guardian! You must do video editing or something, otherwise why!

Hammer, if you can wait, i'd recommend the new system that nVidia are bringing out. PCIx, its the best thing out, basically you get this chip (the name of it escapes me at the moment) and you join two exactly the same graphics cards (geforce 6800 for example). Buttt then i spose you have to buy a new motherboard, two graphics cards and the connector......ok backtrack!

The nVidia Geforce 6800 is a great card, pretty good quality but not mega expensive.
BTW Fairdeath, the joining of 2 video cards is called SLI (Scalable Link Interface)((i believe)) and my motherboard is capable of that.

madmaz
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Post by madmaz » Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:01 am

I am running a NVIDIA GeFource 6600GT, APG. Have had no problems with it and you can down load CoolBits to over clock it. If you do over clock it, and push it too far it will freeze you system till it cools. Just go back in and tweak
it down a little. I :chin: think the cost at the time a little over a year ago was around 150 or so.

MAD MAZ

madmaz
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Post by madmaz » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:30 am

OK Feeling like a fool, I had to reload my system awhile back, and have not down loaded coolbits yet. Not sure which version to download now. I have a NVIDIA GeFource 6600GT, APG with 128 megs of on board ram. Need a little :help: here with the version.

MadMaz

Hammer137

Post by Hammer137 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:20 pm

APG? I think you mean AGP.

Hammer137

Post by Hammer137 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:40 pm

My Card arrived today. Ended up buying an E-VGA Geforce 7900 GS KO. Thanks for all the help. I'll let you know how it turns out when I get my rig done :wtg:

-999-
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member
Location: Strangled, pounced, boomed, hit with concrete and somehow on fire with pipe bomb under me

Post by -999- » Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:59 am

It's a nice card, I think you'll be happy with it.

Coolbits
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=815
or
I prefer RivaTuner
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=163

Hammer137

Post by Hammer137 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:54 am

Man, thanks for that link -999-, I wasn't aware that there was software out there like that.

-999-
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Post by -999- » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:44 pm

The links were actually for Maz, but you can use them as well. I'd suggest using rivatuner over coolbits as it has the same functionality plus a bunch of other things you can do, ie; monitor cpu and gpu temps in system tray, setup profiles so the gpu fan will speed up and slow down based on temps instead of 2d/3d, plus a ton of other stuff. Just have to be careful with it.

madmaz
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Post by madmaz » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:56 pm

Thanks J. I will check out the Riva