Cooling Issues...

Need help? Or just want to chat about your rig.
Hammer137

Cooling Issues...

Post by Hammer137 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:37 pm

Here is the deal, freezing is causing issues with my mental capacity with school starting this week and all, so I need it to stop. I stress tested my PC and my CPU temps peak at 62 Degrees celcius. I know that is high. My system is not overclocked. Now here is teh deal, I have $120 CAD to cool my PC. What should I do?

A) Get a more efficiently cooling case
B) Get a CPU Heatsink
C) Load my case with fans
D) Take my computer out of the case and run it off a sheet of plywood.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for all the help everyone over the past year. :)

filoufelin
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Post by filoufelin » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:28 pm

When i had trouble with my temp,(after putting cpu cooling and some extra fan,i just open one side of my case and replace it with a screen
(dont know if thats the exact word,but its the thing that keep insect outside
u know the last door)and i put a real big fan in front.
Usally it brings temp down by 10-20 degrees...at least i think,i do get better performence and i do o.c. everything in my pc(mem,cpu and video card).hopes it hlp.

P.S. its like having a 25 cm fan except it goes alot faster,which means more cooling,or at the very least better air flow.

TAR

Post by TAR » Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:58 pm

I don't know your system specs... but here is what I'd use

and

DaRk_RaIn

Post by DaRk_RaIn » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:16 pm

Try dusting out your fan. I know, that seems like a simple thing to do... but if you haven't been having heat issues, processors don't suddenly just get warmer, in my experience. That aside, you can try doing what filoufelin said (I've taken the side off of my case before, and it did help temps a bit, but I couldn't stand the look), or just get a new fan and some good thermal compound as TAR suggested. Good luck.

Hammer137

Post by Hammer137 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:29 pm

I am playing higher demanding games now so i'm guessing that is what is bringing up my temps. I took the whole side off the case and the temps dropped 2 or 3 degrees but it still freezes, just not as frequently. I think I may have to invest in a CPU cooler. Any recommendations?

Here are the specs of my rig...

ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe
AMD Athlon X2 5200+
2 X 1G DDR2 800Mhz ram running dual channel
320GB Maxtor SATAII Drive
Geforce 8800GTS 320MB
Enermax 620W Modular PSU

Thats about it...

Nerdy
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Post by Nerdy » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:32 pm

Any idea what the ambient temperature in the room is usually? Also try reseating the cpu fan and apply some arctic silver 5. Is the cpu fan the stock fan? If so, perhaps you should invest in a Zalman 9500 or 9700, providing it will fit in your case and there are no components in the way on your motherboard.

I have a 5200+ as well, and a Zalman 9700NT. I run my cpu at 2.8ghz, a modest 200mhz overclock, and my temps idle at about 20C and load at about 30C. All this is packed inside a NZXT Nemesis Elite mid tower case, which is quite cramped with the Ultra and all, but somehow I managed to get it running cool.

What kinda case do you have?

Another thought...Have you checked the temps on your 8800? If it is running hot, then all that hot air has nowhere to go in the case, but up into the cpu fan. So the problem may lie there.

Eviscerator
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Post by Eviscerator » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:08 pm

I have close to thes same specs as you and with some help from Dirtyoldman got my temps down from 62 to 49. Here's what I did:

Got a nice CPU heatsink/fan combo like the one shown here http://www.coolermaster.com/products/pr ... 52&id=2554 and used artic ceramic paste.

and

Installed 2 120mm fans in the front and back of the case and I already had a 80mm side fan.

Mutt
Clan Member
Clan Member

Post by Mutt » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:33 pm

You may also want to check your power supply too. If the fan in the P/S is starting to fail, that could also be part of what's causing the temp spikes in the machine.

DaRk_RaIn

Post by DaRk_RaIn » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:34 pm

Ah, if that is the case, you should probably get a new fan. I guess my last comment wasn't quite as thought out as it should have been. Sorry.

Hammer137

Post by Hammer137 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:03 pm

room temp is 75 farenheit which is like 20 celcius

Zeus
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Post by Zeus » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:17 pm

Make sure your cpu cooler and FAN are clean and good, nothing exotic, but make sure they are solid and seated well.

I am running a stock amd cooler on my OC'd 64 3200, and had some crash's, i left the cooler alone and just bumped up to a better fan, then the best move i made was, I took a 4" hole saw, and cut a hole in the side of my case, making sure to position it so it is aligned partially at my vid card and cpu, then put a nice quiet 120 mm fan in and now can oc my vid card as well, with no crash's ever. My cpu went from high 50's when gaming to 39-42 under full load for hours. :wtg:

Remember the best heatsink and fan are useles if your still blowing hot air on them. :shrug:

Hammer137

Post by Hammer137 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:43 pm

Remember the best heatsink and fan are useles if your still blowing hot air on them.
That is the reason I mentioned a new case. I cheaped out when I bought this one. Here is the case I have

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/ ... =TC3J-4030

Mind you I swapped the PSU instantly. I have the clear side fan as an intake, I have 1 of the panels in the front under my DVD rom open for an intake and I have a 120mm case fan in the rear for exhaust. And they are all flowing like explained. My theory is that my 8800 gets hot like they do, and it does sit close to the CPU so im guessing that is why it is doing this.

Anyways, I was thinking of upgrading my CPU heatsink to a Zalman CNPS9500. Any thought on that particular cooler?

Nerdy
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Post by Nerdy » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:07 pm

The Zalman 9500 series are very popular with the AMD users. You can't go wrong with it if your case can accommodate such a large fan. I notice that your particular case is fairly weak in the area of intake. Are there even any intake fans at all in the front of the case? Even with the open slot you mentioned, one 80mm fan isn't going to cut it. I would try to find a way to have an equal amount of intake/exhaust.

Also, with the 8800, you probably noticed that there are two exhaust vents on the card. One is on the back of the card, and the other is on the plastic shroud on the card. In actuality, most of the heat gets dumped out of the vent in the plastic shroud and back into the case, to be sucked back into the gpu fan. So if I were you, I would get a PCI slot cooler similar to this one (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835200019) and install it right under the video card. I use this particular fan to exhaust the hot air from my 8800 Ultra, and it works like a charm.

In my case, there was a huge deadzone with no airflow under the video card. I had to install the exhaust fan to keep the hot air out, as well as a 90mm case fan on the side of the hdd rack to bring air that was pulled in by the front intake fan on through to the video card. Before the addition of these two fans, my Ultra idled at around 69C and loaded at 88C!!! Now it idles at 58C and loads at 73C, which is very good for this type of video card.

Hope this helps :wtg:

TAR

Post by TAR » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:33 pm

OH..... I see. The case is your main problem. I'm not sure how much you are planning/wanting to spend if you decide to buy a new case. I would suggest

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... &Tpk=antec

or a case with a similar configuration to mine

http://www.fortune3.com/technologydepot ... e_Wi-.html

madmaz
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Post by madmaz » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:38 pm

Hell just take the case off and stick a small desktop fan next to it.
Baseball is wrong: Man with four balls cannot walk.