Trojan Horses

Need help? Or just want to chat about your rig.
Hammer137

Trojan Horses

Post by Hammer137 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:21 pm

Our other computer seems to be infested with trojans and such. Is there a good free program out there that can clean it or would it be best if I just wiped it clean? Thanks.

surfgeko

Post by surfgeko » Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:35 pm

if it is really loaded with them, then a reinstall is yer best bet, easy, and a fresh start is always nice.

Hammer137

Post by Hammer137 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:50 pm

i just fiund it funny how my parents/sisters computer gets loaded, and mine stays clean :chin: i knew there was a good reason for not letting anyone touch my computer

surfgeko

Post by surfgeko » Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:44 pm

lol, same, my little sister has all sorts of crap on hers "oh, it came with my custom screensaver thingy, i downloaded it from a popup link!"

Some people are soooooooooooooooooo slow when it comes to computers.
ooh, my favorite quote (this time from my little brother): "No, i don't need you to connect my internet, i'm just going to play wolfenstein, not download anything."

LOL :lmao:

filoufelin
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Post by filoufelin » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:33 pm

if ur still looking 4 free software, u could try those:spyware doctor,spyware terminator,rogueremover,spysweeper,and of course ad-aware se and spybot.(but the last 2 can get infected and let some malware pass so if u have any of those prog,desintall it and download it again and update it(but only after scanning with 1 or more of the progs listed before).

P.S. i go with first 3 and after desinstall rogue remover and keep adware-se and ur gonna have (a safe pc lol)make sure 2 scan once in a while :wtg:

-999-
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member
Location: Strangled, pounced, boomed, hit with concrete and somehow on fire with pipe bomb under me

Post by -999- » Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:16 pm

Have to be careful of what you use as there's quite a few "antispyware/antivirus" programs out there that are shady, and several are actually filled with spyware. Spybot and adaware are both good starts, you may also want to download and run hijackthis. Then go onto one of the many forums out there that have people who will look it over for you and help you find out exactly what you have. May also be a good idea to kill off any antivirus you have running and download the trial of nod32. One of the best antivirus programs out, just make sure to update it before running. You'll also probably want to get something like rootkit revealer to check for rootkits if the system's that bad.

You'll also want to do all this scanning in safe mode, or better yet, via something like a bartpe setup. You could maybe try a knoppix setup but haven't done that in while, not sure what there is to use in terms of cleaning stuff up.

Or if it's really that bad, format/reinstall. You may want to consider getting a basic setup and then creating a backup image with either ghost, trueimage, or driveimage xml (only free one, still pretty good).