X-Men: First Class (There May Be Spoilers In Here)

Seen a good movie lately? Or even a real crappy one? TV shows you love? Music
OhMyHead
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

X-Men: First Class (There May Be Spoilers In Here)

Post by OhMyHead » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:09 pm

I stink on ice at writing movie reviews, so I won't attempt it here. I just wanted to say that I was happily surprised at the awesomeness of this film! Professor X and Magneto was very well cast IMO. If any of you have ever heard of or read the Necroscope books, there has been talk for years about making a Necroscope movie. I always thought James McAvoy would make a fine Harry Keough for all the same reasons he played an excellent young Charles Xavier.

Have you seen this movie? Are you a comic book nerd who is incensed at some botching of the cannon? What was your favorite part? Is Magneto actually a bad guy? Did you ever imagine that January Jones had such a flat ass? Wasn't Wolverine's cameo like the best cameo ever!?

Eviscerator
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Post by Eviscerator » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:24 am

Loved it too, loved Jackman's cameo and the Magneto/Xavier casting. I think you and I enjoy the same movies sir!

OhMyHead
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Post by OhMyHead » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:46 am

Evis! It's been a while, sir. :salute: We both like THIS movie, so it would seem logical that we'd like the same movies in general. But what about specifically? Let's test the theory...

New True Grit: Boring. Cute girl, though. Great job for her first outing.

Original True Grit: A turd justlike all of John Wayne's movies. Hideous girl.

Minority Report: The kind of movie I wish nearly ALL movies were like.

Lady in the Water: M. Knight Shamalamadingdong doesn't eff up ALL his movies! No Sixth Sense, but I liked it. Perhaps it is just that I am a big Giamatti fan.

Dune (1984): The Spice must flow, Evis. Even if it takes 4.5 hours and we must listen to Patrick Stewart sing.

Saving Private Ryan: One of the few movies I ever scored 10 stars out of 10.

The Green Mile: Another 10 out of 10.

Memento: A film loved by the masses, I found it tedious and mind numbing and awful.

Romantic Comedies: The vast majority of them should be banned, only to be shown in dark basements in New Jersey.

The Warriors: A cult classic that should NOT be remade! CAN YOU DIG IT!

PAX: Under-rated gold.

Pay It Forward: A joy!

Freddy Got Fingered: Not Green's worst. The elephant semen--drenched father/son chat was side-splitting.

Excalibur: The best of it's kind! Anal nathrak, uthvas bethad, dochiel dienve!

I could do this all night. :D Ok, one more.

Alfred Hitchcock movies: Can't stand them. Them and their black and whiteness, people talkin' all funny n shit. I just can't allow myself to get into any of it, although I'm told it's all suspenseful and brilliant. Whatever.

Eviscerator
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Post by Eviscerator » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:56 pm

New True Grit: Boring. Cute girl, though. Great job for her first outing.
Original True Grit: A turd just like all of John Wayne's movies. Hideous girl.

Have not seen the new one, and I do not recall the old one. What little I recall of John Wayne films is simply thinking of him as a man's man, but they were fairly slow moving as most movies of those times were.

Minority Report: The kind of movie I wish nearly ALL movies were like.

Enjoyed this one as well.

Lady in the Water: M. Knight Shamalamadingdong doesn't eff up ALL his movies! No Sixth Sense, but I liked it. Perhaps it is just that I am a big Giamatti fan.

Same sentiments for me.

Dune (1984): The Spice must flow, Evis. Even if it takes 4.5 hours and we must listen to Patrick Stewart sing.

I only watched this one once and it was in the theater and I was young. So I was VERY lost at the time. I should probably go back and watch it again, but the drinking from the body plug really grossed me out in my youth and made me not want to ever watch it again.

Saving Private Ryan: One of the few movies I ever scored 10 stars out of 10.

The Green Mile: Another 10 out of 10.

Loved both of these.

Memento: A film loved by the masses, I found it tedious and mind numbing and awful.

I was aggravated at the end of Memento, but if I recall I liked some of it.

Romantic Comedies: The vast majority of them should be banned, only to be shown in dark basements in New Jersey.

I typically go out of my way to avoid these but must confess if I stumble upon one and turn my brain off for a few minutes they suck me in. Luckily that only happens once every 5 years or so...

The Warriors: A cult classic that should NOT be remade! CAN YOU DIG IT!

Not sure I've seen this one.

PAX: Under-rated gold.

Pay It Forward: A joy!

Ditto...

Freddy Got Fingered: Not Green's worst. The elephant semen--drenched father/son chat was side-splitting.

Not sure i've seen this, but if I did, I would have to agree w/ what you've got down.

Excalibur: The best of it's kind! Anal nathrak, uthvas bethad, dochiel dienve!

Don't remember seeing this one.

Alfred Hitchcock movies: Can't stand them. Them and their black and whiteness, people talkin' all funny n shit. I just can't allow myself to get into any of it, although I'm told it's all suspenseful and brilliant. Whatever.

I concur!

OhMyHead
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Post by OhMyHead » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:39 am

Wow! I guess it's official, we are definitely on the same movie page. :D

Dune for a kid is probably too much. It's deep, and only touches on the much deeper book(s). I'd revisit if I were you. The heart plug stuff IS gross, but it highlights the terrible evil of House Harkonnen nicely.

And never seen Excalibur? OMG, this movie makes A Knight's Tale and any other Camelot-ish movie seem like a rainy weekend at a crappy renn faire in Ohio. Have a taste...

[youtube][/youtube]

dax
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Post by dax » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:11 pm

I saw this movie when it was out in the theaters back way back in early 80's.. Was and still is, one of my favorite movies concerning that time period of myths and magic.

I think I sat and watched that movie through twice in a row at the theater i was so taken in by the story and depth of the characters. And it was such a "visual" movie for its time... like Star Wars was, and yes, nothing really holds much of a candle to it even today for the King Arthur setting.

Except maybe Monthy Pythons "Holy Grail" movie. :lol:

Dax

OhMyHead
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Post by OhMyHead » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:35 pm

I watched it again last night and me and my friend were heckling it with Holy Grail comments. Like right before a battle, I'd yell, "I'll have your arm off!", etc. Great fun! And I too stayed in the theater for the second showing. Admittedly, it was to see Igrayne's and Gwenyvere's boobs again. :D

AcidStorm
BBA Wannabe
BBA Wannabe

Post by AcidStorm » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:51 pm

Nice one fellas,
the cow catapult in Holy grail was genius. Also the duck and witch theory still gets me. Not gonna see anything like that again.

The x-men is the only movie worth watching at the moment imo anyway.
>
Green lantern hype - looks soo lame I'm not gonna bother.
I took a risk watching Thor the other week and it was much better
than I was expecting and also pretty funny.
I don't laugh very often at movie puns but Thor cracked me up.

Back to the Xmen - some random thoughts i have>

-The action performances and cgi were tip top.
-Who the hell was Bacon playing? He was damn hard.
-xavier - shave the head already.
-Lingerie scene seemed promising then went all stale - oh yeh- family film.
Then another scene with the russian groping that girl - bravo! by that time the movie was a hit with me already!
-Then alot of scissors v paper v stone antics going on,
but in a good super powered way.
-Ajax from the warriors made a cameo appearance too! Lol..
Go watch it if u havent seen it already> possibly best xmen film yet
:wtg:

Michel

Post by Michel » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:27 pm

X-men:First Class is my favorite movie. Michael Fassbender & Rose Byrne are my favorite character in this movie. It was awesome Action & adventure movie. otherwise I haves seen all parts of this movie like X-Men: The Last Stand, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, X-Men and X2 these are great entertaining parts.