Is the BBA server running a modified gamex86.dll?

General ET: Quake Wars Talk
SuperPrettyCow

Is the BBA server running a modified gamex86.dll?

Post by SuperPrettyCow » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:00 am

One of ET:QW's biggest problems, even bigger than forward predicted netcode, or even the dreaded 30 fps tickrate cap, is this bit of malfeasance, snuggled easily within the void idPlayer::SetLastDamageDealtTime( int time ) function.

Long time ago, well before ETQW's release, someone, somewhere, decided to sabotage the entire game by preventing hitsounds from being played consistently on hits. I commented out that tiny bit about the nxtSndHitTime, compiled, and nearly wept.

Is it at all possible to get this tiny tweak implemented on the server? Think of the glory! The headshots! Men would erect statues in your honor!

Xylon

Re: Is the BBA server running a modified gamex86.dll?

Post by Xylon » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:47 am

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but is this the reason the headshot beep does not play consistently?! Is this the only reason?

I spent a few hours tweaking settings, restarting, looking at cvars, etc., trying to figure out why the headshot sound effect was only occasionally audible.

Looking at the code snippet (I am a programmer in my day job), PlayHitBeep returns a number representing how long the the hit sound will play. Then it works out when when the hit beep will finish playing, and sets nextSndHitTime to that time.

By commenting out the time > nextSndHitTime condition, the hit sound will play anyway. That condition appears to simply prevent two hit beeps from playing concurrently. But who care if two hit sounds would play at the same time?

Sometimes it seems like I do not get hit beeps even after not landing a shot for a while. Is there also something else going on? Or maybe PlayHitBeep is returning an excessively high value for duration?

Either way, if the issue is in this dll, and cannot be solved with settings, cvars, and console commands, I'll give up troubleshooting it :)

So this cannot be solved on the client-side, but the server needs a recompiled dll?

Anyway, this was a fascinating post for something I was wondering about too. Surprised it did not get more attention back in 2013.

Cheers,

Xylon

bloodbane
Clan Member
Clan Member

Post by bloodbane » Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:04 pm

We do run a custom dll. It is customized to allow for the XP save option that only BBA has. If our BBA members want this adjustment I'm sure we could put it in.

I'll let our ETQW crew weigh in...

Xylon

Post by Xylon » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:09 pm

Thanks for the reply, very interesting

I'm not necessarily suggesting it be changed. Of course, it is not my call anyway

I had been trying to troubleshoot why the headshot sound does not play consistently, thinking it was on my end, and had something to do with settings.

The OP suggested the issue is in a DLL, and I infer from that that it is not something that can been solved with settings. So I do not need to waste any more time trying to work around it myself :)

You have a great thing going here! Back in January (2019), I did not expect anybody was still playing.

Is there a certain time of day where BBA's Wolf: ET server has plenty of players? I'd pop in there too. Last time I tried original ET, the busiest servers were Fearless Assassins servers.

I owe you folks a donation for the last seven months. Haven't been into PayPal in a long time, but that is the best venue to donate, right?

Cheers
Last edited by Xylon on Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xylon

Post by Xylon » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:28 pm

Just made a retroactive donation to cover playing on BBA's server almost every night for the last 7 months :spin:

bloodbane
Clan Member
Clan Member

Post by bloodbane » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:37 pm

The busiest times on ETQW are probably 6pm - 10pm EST.
ET is probably about the same although there is a European crew that is on from about 9am till 3pm EST.

Thank you very much for the donation! These games are not super popular anymore and donations are getting scarce. While it's cheaper than ever to host it still adds up.

Sissyboy
Clan Member
Clan Member

Post by Sissyboy » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:54 pm

I wouldn't bother me to try adding.
But this is WAY beyond anything I understand or could do.

:)
Will Ban for Stroyent.

Mutt
Clan Member
Clan Member

Post by Mutt » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:18 pm

Since we busted the code for BBAMod back open last week, is this something y'all want to see done? It's an easy enough thing to pop into place.

I've only been on the forums once in the past few months -- put something up in the FB group if y'all want it done.