Direct Connect

General ET: Quake Wars Talk
PeteMoss
Clan Member
Clan Member

Direct Connect

Post by PeteMoss » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:13 pm

Is it just me but the performance of game play, although not all the prior enhancements are active, seems to be better since we are not going through Splash Damage's authentication server?

Curious if other are experiencing the same performance increases (i.e., game play being more responsive)? :huh:

-Pete

Swatt
Clan Member
Clan Member

Re: Direct Connect

Post by Swatt » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:55 pm

I think its really helped some, Hammer and Ducnow are ridiculous now.

Xylon

Post by Xylon » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:07 pm

At first I thought it was worse (at least for 75+ ping), but the last couple of nights it seemed better.

And someone pointed out that MCP lag and Icarus drop lag may be gone! Time will tell.

TAW's people speculated that the servers are running LAN-optimized netcode when set up this way, as opposed to Internet-optimized netcode. So hey, it's possible.

On another note, Splash Damage publicly acknowledged the login issue on Twitter:

PeteMoss
Clan Member
Clan Member

Post by PeteMoss » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:33 am

I tried accessing ETQW last night via the authentication server and it still looks like it is down. :roll:

I’m wondering at this point if it is down for good and that the game is no longer supported. Shame really since although the graphics is not at the caliber of modern games, the game play is still big time fun with the community of players.

Anyway, as long as we can keep BBA funded and folks keep the TAW server running, I guess the game will live a bit longer. :yeah:

Mutt
Clan Member
Clan Member

Post by Mutt » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:23 pm

You'd think that if they really had pulled the plug on the authentication server for good, they would come out and say so.

In their defense, I don't think they have- looking at the log of communication with the demonware servers, it looks like the server tries to open the communication, and does get part the way through the sequence, then bombs out at something marked "Test 3". No, this looks like someone changed something, or something got enbrokenated with a software update of some sort.

Honestly, if they fix it, great, if not, great. We've got the BBA server dialed in and it'll roll onward whether it officially supported or not :)

PeteMoss
Clan Member
Clan Member

Post by PeteMoss » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:54 pm

Agree... good that we have some choices! :wtg:

I noticed there were some people looking to get back into the game which is a testament how good the games was in the day!