The limits of what we can do...

Name says it all.
imjustazn14

The limits of what we can do...

Post by imjustazn14 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:41 pm

Since the PunkBuster support is no longer up for ET, this could only mean one thing... cvar abuse!!! (or something like that, I haven't spent anytime looking up all this stuff.) I know that there are certain cvar (or w/e they're called) values that were limited from the PB service, such as mouse ** and mouse ** (the 2 that could potentially affect a person's aiming; they both relate to sensitivity).

So what I am trying to ask is... Will there be possibly an additional rules list that may state limits of certain values that PB was able to limit before?

ferapont
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Post by ferapont » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:51 am

ill chime in on this and i am not speaking as a bba member but just as a general player.

in my experience, pb really helped with detecting people using wallhack and aimbot programs. then there was an additional aspect that forced cvars basically, mouse **, mouse **, time nudge etc. I think pb was helping in this area by leveling the play field so the player who jumped on with default cvar settings could do just as well as someone who tweaked their cvar settings. though, changing some of the cvars really do help. but on a server like BBA that is objective/team oriented, over all i don't think it would be all that helpful.

i've played on a server without pb, before pb quit, and changed the two mouse settings i think you are referring to, and it didn't really help that much imo.

some of the clients cvars are made public and some aren't. so no way to really enforce it. though, i think the server can force you have certain settings.

edit i haven't heard anything official from the power that be on this topic.