etkey + Reinstallation Help

Name says it all.
imjustazn14

etkey + Reinstallation Help

Post by imjustazn14 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:32 pm

Lately, I have been reinstalling my computer and can't seem to get my etkey backup to work. I tried in the actual ET program files folder as well as the ET AppData folder. None of which seems to work.

I would like to know if there is more information I might need to know to get things working. (There might have been a topic about this, but I couldn't really find it on my own.)

Thanks,
imjustazn

KrispyKritter
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Post by KrispyKritter » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:35 am

Here is the topic your question reminded me of, where DirtyOlMan discovered the appdata copy of etkey.

http://www.bbaservers.com/ftopict-7146.html

The actual size of my etkey in WinXP is 67 bytes. I hope you didn't somehow copy the new key over the old one, instead of vice-versa (which is why I make copys of all files before any file manipulations).

What are the symptoms in the game? Lost all XP?
KrispyKritter aka Chatty (glitchy finger) Charlie
Image(pcB)

imjustazn14

Post by imjustazn14 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:57 pm

KrispyKritter wrote:Here is the topic your question reminded me of, where DirtyOlMan discovered the appdata copy of etkey.

http://www.bbaservers.com/ftopict-7146.html

The actual size of my etkey in WinXP is 67 bytes. I hope you didn't somehow copy the new key over the old one, instead of vice-versa (which is why I make copys of all files before any file manipulations).

What are the symptoms in the game? Lost all XP?
Yes it was loss of XP + stats.

And I made copys of the keys. Couple in my flash drives and one Windows backup copy.

And when I read the topic, I noticed that the key is in AppData\Local\Punkbuster\(blah blah blah...) NOT the AppData\Local\Wolf- ET\(blah blah blah...) folder, whichhad its own version of the etkey. I'll update on this, and see if this makes a difference.

Thanks!

imjustazn

imjustazn14

Post by imjustazn14 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:47 pm

Didn't mean to double post, but had to give out the full details of my success.

Before requesting help, I installed Wolf ET on my PC, then replaced the newly installed ET Program Files folder with my old one (with all the maps and campaigns). This however made things a little too complicated when I tried a solution after making the post above.

I decided to uninstall Wolf ET from my computer. I have also removed any folders and files that had to do with Wolf ET (such as the "AppData\Local\Punkbuster\ET\..." and the "AppData\Local\Wolf- ET\..." folders), which means that there is no Wolf ET files AT ALL!

Then, I reinstalled Wolf ET with all updates/patches up to version 2.60b. Updated PunkBuster as well.

I also made sure that Wolf ET is running as an administrator (Vista/Seven).

After that, I executed Wolf ET, created the profiles and all. I find the BBA server in the server listing, and connected to the server after downloading certain files.

Exited the program, and find the location of the new etkey (which happens to be in the "Program Files\Wolf-ET\etmain" folder). Replace the newly generated key with the backup one, and BOOM!! It works. XP and stats are back.

imjustazn

KrispyKritter
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Post by KrispyKritter » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:03 am

Not a double post, but useful information for people now and in the future.

I also learned that the search function here is not a primitive one-word-one-search type, as I has ASSuMEd. I searched for "dirtyolman etkey" and found the link quickly, though my first try of "... et key" had the module suggesting "... at key".
KrispyKritter aka Chatty (glitchy finger) Charlie
Image(pcB)