my pc still freezes :(

Game Questions and Help / Errors and Game Issues
kakeroo
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

my pc still freezes :(

Post by kakeroo » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:03 pm

thanks for the various links in the forum posts.
i was able to get new, clean copies of ET and 2.06b, and maps. also the console commands to update pb manually worked aswell,

however, i am still having the pc crash problem. i used to think it was the game, but it's all new and runs fine.. no choppy. and i also thought it was my connection, but no.. it D/L at 1.1 mb/s and speed tests for 3.4 mb/s, yet, after about 5-10 minutes of playing my pc freezes and the game sound at the time hangs continuously.

the only thing i can think of now as being the problem is my windows page file is like 36% fragmented from the OS being a fwe years old now w/o a re-instal.

i'm not opposed to reinstalling, but the company that made COD 4 MW:1 has not gotten back to me on which file i save to keep my achievments/player stats when reinstalling the game

thanks for your help guys, i've been trying to play for a long time, lol, i can only play so much maplestory before i need a change

Zeus
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Post by Zeus » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:28 pm

I had the same sort of issue as what your describing a few years ago with an ATI card I had, I ended up playing with different drivers to get it fixed, not sure if you have gone down that road or not yet, but food for thought. :wtg:

KrispyKritter
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Re: my pc still freezes :(

Post by KrispyKritter » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:24 am

kakeroo wrote:... and the game sound at the time hangs continuously.

is my windows page file is like 36% fragmented from the OS being a fwe years old now w/o a re-instal.
Game sound runs in a repeating loop? I wonder if it could be audio driver(s). I have had et freezes like that, and then the Windows error log showed audio driver problems.

I had thought the page file was reset each time you rebooted. Unless you always Hibernate or Sleep. You might be happier with a static page file instead of letting Windows handle it by growing and shrinking it as needed. A static, fixed file-size page file is one contiguous file, instead of being spread all over the Hd. You can make a custom page file setup with the minimum and maximum the same. I usually see 1.5 times RAM size as recommended. Just don't make it 0 size. :eek:
KrispyKritter aka Chatty (glitchy finger) Charlie
Image(pcB)

kakeroo
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Post by kakeroo » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:20 am

hi krispy

i don't know if i can check to see if it's the audio drivers. if the game froze i could ctrl+alt+del to end it, but the whole pc freezes. i will reinstal the audio driver just to eliminate that possibility and hope it is the problem.

my brother made this pc for me, and it does have a static page file, the defragmenter always shows it being the same size and in the same place on the HDD.

i have some badass stats on COD 4 and don't want to loose them as i play it sometimes. and still no response to my email about where in the COD 4 folder is my save file

atleast PB emailed me back saying they no longer support ET and refered me to activition for PB updates :/

KrispyKritter
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Post by KrispyKritter » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:41 pm

kakeroo wrote:...my brother made this pc for me, and it does have a static page file, the defragmenter always shows it being the same size and in the same place on the HDD.

i have some badass stats on COD 4 and don't want to loose them as i play it sometimes. and still no response to my email about where in the COD 4 folder is my save file

atleast PB emailed me back saying they no longer support ET and refered me to activition for PB updates :/
1. I goofed up my page-file reply to you. I always make static page-files, so when you said 36% fragmented, I pictured the data inside the file, which should be reset each time you reboot. I later realized your words probably meant the dynamic page-file is fragmented, and now, haha, you tell me you have a static page-file!

2. COD 4 players' forums might be a better way to get that info. You could try this: play COD4 for a few minutes, exit the program, then run search for new or changed files on your system that day, sort them in time-order and see which files had just changed and where they are. I don't know if game-authors ever mark their files hidden or system, but if you see nothing interesting, you could reset your folder options to show hidden and system files and unhide known extensions and run the search again. Moving your game installation or saving the current state may be more complicated than just copying some files.

3. The reply from PB referring you to Activision for PB files gave me faint hope and then I realized, Nah, the owners are not gonna do what they paid PB to do for a free game.

ahh, here's a link to how to save your COD4 profile (for a move), where it seems that all your important info is kept in the User's appdata folder, not with the game itself (like in ET).
This is for Vista 64 Home Premium
http://www.overclock.net/pc-games/29312 ... -cod4.html

I just realized one implication of your words: you can run the more modern COD4 just fine, but the old game, Wolf:ET, locks your system?
KrispyKritter aka Chatty (glitchy finger) Charlie
Image(pcB)

yardy_da_truck
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

freeze

Post by yardy_da_truck » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:59 pm

My game has frozen within the first few minutes of play and goes to that endless sound loop. No way to end the game, It requires a cntl-alt-del then picking the application and ending it. Usually after the restart of the game it won't do that again for the duration of the time on the server but will have random fits of freezing for 2-5 seconds (with the repeating audio) then it will give me control again.

Oddly enough this seems to happen with an event of some kind i.e. explosion, lots of nearby enemy activity, close enemy airstrike, sudden screen changes etc. For the longest time I wondered if the enemy somehow had an i.p. jammer or something that would lock me up so I would be defenseless since it also happened a lot when I was defending the object i.e. had the flag etc.

I also get the BSOD every 2/3 games with the IRQ not equal error.

I have reason to believe in my case it is the video card causing it. I can't switch the IRQ and it is shared by the audio IRQ. I have ordered a new card and it will be here next week. Hopefully it will correct the problem. I believe in other cases it can be faulty memory, conflicts with other cards, and anything associated with the interrupts. An overclocked processor is famous for this sort of thing if it is right on the edge.

In my case I put off getting the card because I really like using Edimensional's 3D glasses with the game and it is not compatible with every card. So I am taking a chance on losing this feature but it is a pain dealing with this problem so I am hoping for the best.

One thing that helped me in the past was to disable any services that were not needed and to uninstall any drivers that were unused to free up resources. You may also want to run some extended cycles on a mem checker to see if it is glitchy.

Hope you get it going.

-yardy