New installation of ET on Windows 7 ...... again!

Game Questions and Help / Errors and Game Issues
TheDecipher
BBA ShouldBe
BBA ShouldBe

New installation of ET on Windows 7 ...... again!

Post by TheDecipher » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:46 pm

Hi,

So I decided to format my laptop and install windows 7 on it. Did everything right as Dirtyolman said. But my ET is not working. When I click on it, the screen turns whitish and it says ET.exe has stopped working. Windows is checking for solution and then just "Close program" box. I tried using it in compability mode in 3 different windows XP, VIsta, XP service packs, but still not working....... Any ideas? aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh

!D

TJHooker
Clan Member
Clan Member

Post by TJHooker » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:15 pm

I installed win7 about three weeks ago. I just installed ET last week and have had no problems thus far. I don't have it set for any compatibility.
"Cuff him. Then wash your hands."

TheDecipher
BBA ShouldBe
BBA ShouldBe

Post by TheDecipher » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:31 am

I have windows 7 enterprise running on 32 bit even though my computer can support 64 bit..... can that be the cause of the problems?

!D

!die all

dax
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Post by dax » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:14 am

try running ET in safe mode, you may have a video command that isnt compatible.

Or you can try renaming the Autoexec.cfg and let it rewrite itself from scratch with defaults and see if it loads.

What video card are you running? I heard that nvida had some issues with GL extensions, (actually ATI did also but not this type of issue). i think you can go into the nvidea control panel and turn the extensions off directly in there... or maybe download rivatuner. Do some research on google.

Dax

Mutt
Clan Member
Clan Member

Post by Mutt » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:00 am

TheDecipher wrote:I have windows 7 enterprise running on 32 bit even though my computer can support 64 bit..... can that be the cause of the problems?

!D
Nah, if you're running Win32 on top of an x64, that won't hurt anything.

Billdoe

Post by Billdoe » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:06 pm

Hi all,

I don't know if this is the thread to post or if I need to start a new topic, so please tell me if this is so.

I don't have Windows Seven, but on a dual core HP running Vista with a Nvidia 8600-GT card, I have noticed ET posting a yellow colored line while booting up, that states something about extensions string being too long, and being truncated.

I believe this means the quantity of GL extensions, the 8600-GT comes with as default, is too large for ET to load, and ET trims all the excess files.

Dax said: "nvidia had some issues with GL extensions, and I think you can go into the nvidea control panel and turn the extensions off directly in there."

I thought ET was Open GL, and needs the GL extensions, to operate properly?

Will ET operated with the GL extensions turned completely off?

If so, does it have any performace pros, or cons, and would you what would you recommend: running ET with extensions on, or with them off?

Thanks. I have looked everwhere for a solution, and everyone has told me, if ET Boots, then don't worry about it. Thanks again.
It is not the strongest of the species that survives,
Nor the most intelligent,
But the one most responsive to change.

Investigate, Improvise, Adapt, Overcome.

dax
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Post by dax » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:43 pm

i dont have any first hand experience with this issue, but I KNOW I have read something on the internet, pretty common problem from what I gather. Have you tried removing the autoexec.cfg file and having ET re-create it? Maybe you have a command line in there that is causing the issue, remove the whole file and see if the game plays. If so then it is a command line and my guess is video related.

Billdoe

Post by Billdoe » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:24 pm

Thanks Dax, I'll try that.

One question, is there a log file in ET, or some way to turn on a log file, in ET, that could be used for diagnosis of various isssues ?

Thanks again.

dirtyolman
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Post by dirtyolman » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:46 pm

.............on a lappy :chin:

Need make & model and let's see what it's got, and it may clue me in on your troubles.

PM ME!!!

KrispyKritter
Retired Clan Member
Retired Clan Member

Post by KrispyKritter » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:52 pm

Billdoe wrote:...Vista with a Nvidia 8600-GT card, I have noticed ET posting a yellow colored line while booting up, that states something about extensions string being too long, and being truncated....
I have looked everwhere for a solution, and everyone has told me, if ET Boots, then don't worry about it. ...
http://www.friends-of-fpc.org/tutorials ... ter20.html says of openGL extensions:
"Your video card should support at least 7-8 extensions. A modern video card may have more than 100 extensions. That depends on it's age. The GL_EXTENSIONS string should return something like this:

"GL_ARB_depth_texture GL_ARB_imaging GL_ARB_multisample GL_ARB_multitexture GL_ARB_point_parameters GL_ARB_shadow ... .....GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array GL_EXT_fog_coord GL_EXT_histogram GL_EXT_packed_pixels ... "

This string could get very long, I just intended to give you an example."

Another site says too-long extension string could overflow the program's buffer and corrupt it's stack, causing a crash. Looks like either ET or the vid-drivers are clipping the string to prevent that.

So, best advice may well be "if ET Boots, then don't worry about it."
KrispyKritter aka Chatty (glitchy finger) Charlie
Image(pcB)

Billdoe

Post by Billdoe » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:34 pm

Hi again,

OK, first of all I want to thank you all, for the help, and the speedy responses. You all contribute immensely, to the ET community, and it's appreciated.

Krispy, thanks for that input, I don't feel as alarmed, about the GL extensions, now. But, you must have 3 computers in front of you, and 4 hands to type with, and sparks flying off the keyboard. lol. Thanks again, I appreciate it.

1. I found some links to similar GL extensions overflow, that were responses on the Nvidia web site, by Nvidia technicians, but Nivia site is down till tomorrow for maintenance.

2. Dirtyolman: I don't know exactly what you mean by a "Model" of it. If you mean, to copy the errors, then I need to change a setting, so the text at start up, is not cleared from the console, so I can make a condump file of it.
Would this be it? >> ( con_autoclear '1' )
Could you explain in more detail, as to the specifics of making a model of it?

3. On another 'Graphics' related error, ... while trying to capture a copy of the GL extensions error.
I have noticed a missing shader for the lagometer, that's a reoccurring error on certain maps. Would this be a map error, of client error, or is it just missing, and can fixed by getting an external copy of the missing file?

Thanks again to you all for you help.